The Importance of a Proper Forklift Safety Training
Forklifts can be one of the most important resources a company has to utilize. 2015 was a record year for forklift sales, with over 265,000 being sold worldwide. In the United States alone, there are more than 855,000 forklifts currently being utilized. Some companies may only have one forklift while others can have hundreds; but regardless of quantity, forklift safety is of the utmost importance.
Every year, just in the United States, there are over 90,000 forklift accidents. That is over 265 accidents per day. To put that number in perspective, there is a forklift accident every five minutes in the United States. It is said that 70% of all forklift accidents could be prevented with proper forklift training and policy. Given that a third of those accidents result in serious injury or death, doesn’t it make sense to ensure you and your staff have been properly trained?
An OSHA compliant operator safety training can ensure that you and your staff have a full understanding of the industry expectations and requirements. Let’s take a look at some of OSHA’s requirements and general facts for you and your company:
- All forklift operators must be trained.
- Any training or adherence to OSHA’s guidelines is the responsibility of the employer.
- It is mandatory to keep proper records and documentation.
- All certifications and training must be specific to your unique site and equipment.
- OSHA compliance training is valid for 3 years after certification date.
- Non-compliance with OSHA’s forklift requirements can result in a fine of up to $7,000.
Knowing what is expected of you and the risks you face, it is imperative to make sure you are educating your staff and company. Enter Sunbelt Industrial. Our Forklift training course is designed to help companies- just like yours- set up and maintain OSHA compliant regulations. This training, combined with out of the class study, will help in ensuring a successful completion of the course.
Here are some of the various topics that are covered with our OSHA compliant forklift training:
- What is the need for operator training?
- What are the OSHA regulations you should know?
- Defining the various model and use IDs for the companies forklifts.
- The need for a daily inspection.
- General safety requirements and fueling best practices.
- Safety at the loading dock.
- Pedestrian Safety
- Required personal protective equipment (PPE)
- The importance of operator health
- The steps and requirements of a job hazard analysis (JHA)
- Training tips and additional course preparation
A training feature that sets Sunbelt apart is that we allow you the opportunity to pick the training location. Want your training to be in the same environment where the staff actually works? That would be fine. However, if you would like to utilize our facilities, we offer the option to hold training there as well.
While safety is always the primary concern, and of the utmost importance, there can be devastating effects to your company as a result of forklift accidents. Reach out to us today to find out how we can customize our training for you, your staff, and your company.